Race Participation (Northern Conference/Great Lakes Div)

Race reports and previews from F500 events around the country
Nick Sullivan

Postby Nick Sullivan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm trying to figure out what events I want to try to make it to. I was recently looking results and I am noticing that there are very few F5's that do divisional races. More specifically, in the the Great Lakes division.

Is this normal? 2015 will be my rookie year so , being a n00b I was hoping to do some smaller regional events instead of Majors event. Now, I'm thinking that it may not be very helpful if I have no one or few in my class to race with.

Do most of you reserve your resources for Majors races only? Even the first 2 Major events at BlackhawkFarms and Mid-O had very few F5 entries.

Nick
97' Red Devil T-27

Richard Schmidt

Postby Richard Schmidt » Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:34 pm

Nick,

You have to start somewhere. The low pressure of the regional races will allow you to enjoy the event and aquatint yourself with the various tracks. Yes, most of the national level guys just go to the national level (or whatever they call them now) races, because of the money involved. You may find some of them will use a regional to check out a new setup.

There will always be some FV's and FF's to compete with. Enjoy !

Richard

Jeff Blumenthal

Postby Jeff Blumenthal » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:00 pm

Nick,
Check out Waterford Hills. There used to be a decent group of F5's that raced there. Get some events in at a pace you are comfortable with. Then, come to the Majors events. If you feel comfortable with your car on the track, you should be fine at the Majors events. Usually there are real good F5 turnouts at MidOhio and Watkins Glen. Hope to see you next year.
- Jeff Blumenthal
FMod #96
F500 #96

Darrel Greening

Postby Darrel Greening » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:44 pm

I've been running the Divisional races in Cendiv. We've generally had 2 or 3 F5s. I skipped most of the Majors races, but did run the ones at Road America.

Steven Thompson

Postby Steven Thompson » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:38 pm

Definitely come out to Waterford for a couple of races. Typically there are 6-8 F5/F6 cars with experience levels anywhere from 1 to 10+ years. We usually all paddock together and information is very free flowing between different teams/drivers. I've provided set up/scale/fabrication/driving lines/worthless opinions to many of the cars there and we're happy to help new (or experienced) drivers.

Waterford is a great track for F5s, with lots to do and good learning opportunities for a beginner. There are a couple of Red Devils running out there and plenty of people who have set them up. There will definitely be people to run/race with, regardless of your pace and there's a couple of guys who run the more local regionals from time to time. Successful Waterford drivers usually do pretty well nationally, although there are some definite setup differences between the relatively small track and some of the larger ones.

Nick Sullivan

Postby Nick Sullivan » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:41 pm

Steven Thompson wrote:Definitely come out to Waterford for a couple of races. Typically there are 6-8 F5/F6 cars with experience levels anywhere from 1 to 10+ years. We usually all paddock together and information is very free flowing between different teams/drivers. I've provided set up/scale/fabrication/driving lines/worthless opinions to many of the cars there and we're happy to help new (or experienced) drivers.

Waterford is a great track for F5s, with lots to do and good learning opportunities for a beginner. There are a couple of Red Devils running out there and plenty of people who have set them up. There will definitely be people to run/race with, regardless of your pace and there's a couple of guys who run the more local regionals from time to time. Successful Waterford drivers usually do pretty well nationally, although there are some definite setup differences between the relatively small track and some of the larger ones.

Thanks Steve. Your name seems to come up quite often when chatting about F5's. You probably know my car. Dave Mitsch used to run it at Waterford. I need to do some exhaust work to make it sound legal at Waterford. It was too loud when Dave ran it there.
97' Red Devil T-27

Jim Murphy

Postby Jim Murphy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:10 pm

Thanks Steve. Your name seems to come up quite often when chatting about F5's. You probably know my car. Dave Mitsch used to run it at Waterford. I need to do some exhaust work to make it sound legal at Waterford. It was too loud when Dave ran it there.[/quote]

Aaen Performance has a good aluminum muffler - you want the correct ID, the longest one and repackable. Support it separately, using a door spring, so that you don't crack the expansion chamber.

Jim
Been messing with these cars since 1982.

keith averill

Getting started

Postby keith averill » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:15 am

I also agree with Steve.
Waterford has constantly had cars in your class to race with/against. It's hard to pass up it's location to you, the (lower) entry costs and the multi-race format that will really help anyone who is just getting started.
Hope to see you at Waterford in 2015.
Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
(located next to Hoosier Tire on WHRRI race weekends)
248-585-9139

Return to “F500 - Event News & Reports”