Mike Leathers Running at Road Atlanta

Race reports and previews from F500 events around the country
Jim Murphy

Mike Leathers Running at Road Atlanta

Postby Jim Murphy » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:14 pm

Mike Leathers, former multi-national F440/500 champion, is driving John Pickle's Red Devil F500 in the Majors race at Road Atlanta this weekend. He is there to help develop the car for John in the role of a 2nd opinion. Even though Mike has not driven a F500 since 1993 he is quickly picking it up and having fun doing so. Mike is also enjoying seeing once again some of the drivers from when he was last driving. He also commented that the 593's are leaving him on the long back straight at RA.

Jim

Cory McLeod

Re: Mike Leathers Running at Road Atlanta

Postby Cory McLeod » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:58 pm

Jim Murphy wrote: He also commented that the 593's are leaving him on the long back straight at RA.Jim

John made a deal at the track to buy a 494 Rave and pipe from Q, so I wouldn't count on his car being off the pace for long. I followed Mike through a few turns - he definitely still knows how to drive! It was an honor watching a multiple time F440 Runoffs champ driving my old car. John and Mike are great guys. Glad they are back in the class.

Cory
F500 - Can't Get Enough of the 2-Cycle Smoke and CVT!

Jeremy Morales

Postby Jeremy Morales » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:40 am

deleted
Last edited by Jeremy Morales on Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Big or Go Home

Jim Murphy

Re: Mike Leathers Running at Road Atlanta

Postby Jim Murphy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:50 am

Jeremy Morales wrote:
Jim Murphy wrote:Mike Leathers, former multi-national F440/500 champion, He also commented that the 593's are leaving him on the long back straight at RA.

Jim

For everyone who WAS NOT at the track over the weekend, Mike was running Pickles recently purchased Red Devil witch happen to be Glens old car. It was really great to see that car back out on track but from what I saw they were doing pretty good and the car was running very well and had a solid weekend. Granted I believe it was mikes first weekend in the car, we don't know if they had the right gear in the car for that track or brought enough gears to choose from??? I don't feel it is right Jim to be picking on the 593's. After the drop of the green flag on Saturdays race witch was in the dry, everyone pretty much stayed the same gap through out the whole race. In my opinion he performed very well, but point being Corey, Russel and Jack were all running a 593 and all in three different chassis and body designs. We all know what would have happened if some people showed up with a bike motor car, I bet you Mike would have had a totally different opinion. I not picking a fight or wanting to start another forum war but enough with picking on the two strokes!!!!

Jeremy,
Please re-read my above post - it is Mike who voluntarily commented to me about the 593's and how they are faster than the 493/4's. It is a comparison of two different 2 strokes. There is nothing in the entire post about MC cars at all so your comments are way off the mark. So that a fight does not begin, I will delete this post IF you will delete your way off the mark comments above. This will head off others from jumping in to a fight as you so want to avoid.

Jim

Jeremy Morales

Postby Jeremy Morales » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:38 pm

I would like to know your reasoning though for bringing up 593's?
Go Big or Go Home

Jim Murphy

Postby Jim Murphy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:53 pm

Jeremy Morales wrote:I would like to know your reasoning though for bringing up 593's?

It was nothing more than quoting Mike Leathers' observation of the two strokes
which could not possibly be intended to start a fight.

I will delete my responses IF you will delete your off the mark comments for the sake of keeping the peace.

Jim

WCM McMahan

Postby WCM McMahan » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:24 pm

I don't think anyone cares about which drive train one may have in their car anymore. I will say that in the event that a driver in this class submits a change for the restriction of the 593 I will be the first one AGAINST changing the 593 period and I will submit every post, PM, and email I have received as to why it should remain the dominate motor in this class. I have asked for reasons of why it shouldn't be restricted and have received next to no responses on this forum as well as other forums. So that means people are satisfied with continuing its domination since its inception into this class. I respect that and will remain quiet about it unless someone wants to change that. Myself and others in this class don't really care about which motors are dominating in F500 anymore. This class will end up where its going to end up in a few more years and then it wont really matter one way or the other. You can take that how ever you see it. Its obvious where the political ties are in this class and we all know that's not going to be changed. This is one reason no one has said anything until now and this will likely be my last post on this subject. By the way, you now have a MC car at your disposal and you have been offered a ride in one before. So I don't really understand why it is that you don't jump in one and blow away every track record known to man since you think its THAT FAST!?!?!?! If you would like to find out just how FAST you'll get your butt handed to you, jump in one and come out to a f600 challenge race. I'm sure you'll be fast, but I'm also sure that you wont be nearly as fast as you may think the MC motor will make you. I can say this, I wouldn't be driving a MC powered car at the runoffs this year if I had access to a 593 powered car and a clutching guy to set it up for me.

Jay Novak

Postby Jay Novak » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:48 pm

Mike and John were and I am sure still are great racers and I am super glad to see them back!

Hopefully we can get together. Mike liked to pull my chain. At the 86 Runoffs he said that a Yankee could not eat grits for breakfast. I did and I broke my leg in Q1. Was this related???
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years
A special thanks to all SCCA workers

Return to “F500 - Event News & Reports”