Thank you Jay Novak

Race reports and previews from F500 events around the country
Cory McLeod

Thank you Jay Novak

Postby Cory McLeod » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:56 am

Many of you know that I drew the short stick at the Runoffs when tech decided to use my car to make a point about inconsistencies in the F500 engine rules. Even though everyone involved from the SCCA was very nice and helpful (especially the driver advocates, Chief Steward, and members of the SOM), the process, including an appeal, was painfully bureaucratic and distracted me from the event from Monday through Thursday.

Even though everyone that I spoke to in the process seemed to understand the problem with the rules after I explained it to them, and that my car was compliant based on the poorly written rules, no one would make the decision to end the process and rule my car legal. By Wed morning, I felt things were heading in the wrong direction and that my car would be deemed illegal, forcing me to make unnecessary modifications. Knowing that Jay dealt with the exact same problem in tech last year at Laguna Seca, and that he is on the FSRAC, I called and woke him up at 7:30 am.

I asked if he would help plead my case to the SOM. Jay said yes without hesitation and came to my garage as soon as he arrived at the track. He patiently explained the history of the rules problem to the SOM and submitted a written witness statement.

When the SOM called me in around noon on Wed to tell me that they ruled to uphold my appeal, they made it clear that Jay's involvement was why they ruled in my favor.

So I would like to publicly thank Jay. Even after our disagreements over the MC engines in F500, Jay did not hesitate to do the right thing.

Cory
F500 - Can't Get Enough of the 2-Cycle Smoke and CVT!

Dave Craddock

Re: Thank you Jay Novak

Postby Dave Craddock » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:01 pm

Jay gets maligned a lot on the other forum, but he has helped a lot of folks over time, maybe they took his advice ,,,,maybe not he was and is still a huge friend of the racing comunity.
Dave
Dave Craddock

Jay Novak

Postby Jay Novak » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Thanks for the comments Cory and Dave.

BTW Cory I put a letter into the CRB system to correct the wording in the F500 rules that caused your problem. Hopefully this will be totally over with in a month or so.
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years
A special thanks to all SCCA workers

Cory McLeod

Postby Cory McLeod » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Thanks Jay. I was also planning to submit a request to the CRB. Hopefully we have the same idea. Here is what I was planning to request.

1. All 493 and 593 engines - competitor can choose whether to run the resonator bottle or not.
2. If the competitor chooses not to run the resonator bottle, then the mounting holes in the carb boots can be blocked off in a manner that does not change the internal shape of the carb boot.

Cory

Jeff Blumenthal

Postby Jeff Blumenthal » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:08 pm

Wow Cory, I wasn't aware that you got bit by Tech. Glad it got resolved...and kudos to Jay for his help.

Looks like I may need to read the Solo rules to see if they are different from the Club Racing GCR. I've been running the balance tube on
my road race car for several years, after hearing that it was a required item. I haven't run it on my Solo car.

When it is approved to remove the balance tube...make sure whatever is used to block the hole seals completely. Initially I used a wooden
dowel and found that the wood allowed some air to seep through the 'end grain' after time, causing the engine to run rough and erratically. Since finding that, I put a coating of RTV sealant on the 'open grain' side of the dowel to make sure it is sealed. That took care of the problem.
- Jeff Blumenthal
FMod #96
F500 #96

Cory McLeod

Postby Cory McLeod » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:23 am

Jeff Blumenthal wrote:Wow Cory, I wasn't aware that you got bit by Tech. Glad it got resolved...and kudos to Jay for his help.

Looks like I may need to read the Solo rules to see if they are different from the Club Racing GCR. I've been running the balance tube on
my road race car for several years, after hearing that it was a required item. I haven't run it on my Solo car.

When it is approved to remove the balance tube...make sure whatever is used to block the hole seals completely. Initially I used a wooden
dowel and found that the wood allowed some air to seep through the 'end grain' after time, causing the engine to run rough and erratically. Since finding that, I put a coating of RTV sealant on the 'open grain' side of the dowel to make sure it is sealed. That took care of the problem.

Jeff,

I got busted because I was the only 493/593 NOT running the balance tube. Just happenstance that I was the only one there without it. Most/all of Brad Huling's engine customers, including Jay/Brian Novak, do not run the balance tube on their 593s. Brad makes a nice aluminum plug for the holes in the carb boot.

Cory

Jim Murphy

Postby Jim Murphy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:57 pm

Rick Mitchell knows that I am involved with F500 and came to me during this same time period and I explained to him that the motor rules being used were very ambiguous and needed clarification. I am also glad to see that this will happen.

Jim
Still recuperating at home after a two week stay in the hospital upon my return from the Runoffs.
Slowly catching up on my internet stuff.

Jay Novak

Postby Jay Novak » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:19 pm

I have written a letter to the CRB defining that the balance tube bottle has not been used in production since the 2003 model year. My proposal makes the use of the bottle optional and that if not used the holes must be completely and properly plugged.

I am pretty sure this will go through.
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years
A special thanks to all SCCA workers

Return to “F500 - Event News & Reports”