Exhaust pipes

Technical discussion, questions, answers and information
Ted Simmons

Exhaust pipes

Postby Ted Simmons » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:37 pm

Can anyone provide specific information on the various exhaust pipes and headers available for the Rotax engines? I’d like info on the 494 but any info would be appreciated. My car came with the regular AAEN pipe, but I’ve seen a “hi-revâ€￾ version for sale in the classifieds. Also, I’ve heard of a Hulings pipe that is suppose to work better at higher rpm. Anyone want to share their experience with the different types of pipes and their performance? How does it effects clutching? What does it do to the jetting and the engine temps etc.?

Does anyone know what kind of pipe Jay uses on the Rakavon? In the Runoffs video it appears the exhaust gases are exiting from the right side pod. Does this mean the pipe curls around inside the side pod? Kind of like the pipe shown in the pictures of CJ McAbee’s ’97 Red Devil. Ted Simmons.

Jay Novak

Pipes

Postby Jay Novak » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:54 pm

We have used Brad Hulings pipes for years & won the Runoffs with his pipe. They are great & I have actually helped on the dyno when many pipes were tested & Brad's pipes were the best.

Call Brad at 616-874-6338
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years
A special thanks to all SCCA workers

jim l

Postby jim l » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:13 am

The pipes are different. The standard Aaen pipe makes good power---see Golay at Runoffs. It is very forgiving and the clutch set up for this is rock solid and well known--just adjust by air temperature.

The Hulings pipes are quite different. The whole clutch set up is different from top to bottom (or front to back!). I can attest that it is something I still do not have figured out (attested to by me missing the peak RPM by about 500rpm) but Brad is willing to work with people to make things happen.

The shape of Novak's pipe is an aero thing rather than function. It just doesn't go that way in a KBS, try as I might, it will not happen.

So at the top of qualifying and at the final results, you have Aaen, Hulings, and possibly alternate Aaen pipes. Four or five different chassis, two different motors. They all seem to come together and go fast. It is tough to go too wrong in this class and everyone shares almost every bit of information.

Jay Novak

Pipes

Postby Jay Novak » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:25 am

Jim, if you look closely at the top Invader cars that are prepped by Quadrini, they do not use a stock Aaen exhaust system. The manifold is different & is a purpose built fabrication.
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years
A special thanks to all SCCA workers

Cory McLeod

Postby Cory McLeod » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:49 am

If you look close at the 2006 and 2007 Runoffs broadcasts, you will see a pipe design that a lot of the fast guys are using that has the stinger exiting in the middle of the pipe. They were made by a guy in WI. I've talked to several people who bought these pipes and love them, but the maker will not return anyone's call to make more. I've also been told that if he does make anymore, they will be made from cones instead of blown like the originals. I've gotten all of this second hand, so if anyone knows this info to be inaccurate, please post a correction. Even more importantly, if anyone knows where I can get one of the blown pipes, please contact me! Cory
F500 - Can't Get Enough of the 2-Cycle Smoke and CVT!

Return to “F500 - Tech”