Rod Ends

Technical discussion, questions, answers and information
Phil Green

Rod Ends

Postby Phil Green » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:15 pm

What is everyone using for rod ends?

My Red Devil has FK Bearings JMX series from Don. Seems like it is equivalent to the Aurora A Series, and very similar in radial strength to the NHBBs. (somewhere about 9000 lbs for 3/8").

Is there any downside to going with the PTFE lined rod ends? I would lke to get rid of some of the looseness and squeaky rod ends, but will this additional stiction cause any suspension issues, particularly on the Red Devils? I'm inclined to go Aurora "A" series with the PTFE.

Finally, where is the best place to get these? They kind of like to add up when you have to buy 40 of them....YIKES! Yes, I'm planning to replace ALL, and keep the ones that still seem good for backups or other little projects.

Jay Novak

rod ends

Postby Jay Novak » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:25 pm

We use Aurora PTFE lined chromoly rod ends for everything. They last about 2 to 3 time longer than anything else. The typical part number is: AMT6.

This is for an alloy male teflon 3/8 RH. A LH is an AB6T. This is their lower cost alloy rod end. We only use the higher strength super rod ends on the spindle upper & we use a monoball in the lower outer arm. Never a failure except from a hit & then they bend.
Last edited by Jay Novak on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years
A special thanks to all SCCA workers

Lance Spiering

Postby Lance Spiering » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:22 am

I have found that http://www.hrpworld.com/ has a pretty good price. McMaster-carr has a lot of rod ends, but I do not know what brand they sell.

Bill Schmidt

Postby Bill Schmidt » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:17 am

I have been using rodendsupply of Olathe,KS (just down the road from me). Their prices are fair, quality is high and they do internet and mail order, although I just drive there when I need them.

Dave Phaneuf

Postby Dave Phaneuf » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:57 am

Bill,
Little story about Rod End Supply.
Met them at PRI show maybe 6-7 years ago, they set me up
as a dealer and provided pretty good pricing.
Bought maybe 100 ends of different types ( not just for the car).
Quality was ok, not great, not too bad. A few years later bought
some in a larger size and they seemed to fail ( loosen up) pretty quick.
Last batch I bought was about 3 years ago, looked on the
boxes to see where they were made....Made on Earth....huh?
Called and asked, never would tell me where they came from.
Still have the box , kept it on the shelf, sorta conversation piece.
Dave Phaneuf

Phil Green

Postby Phil Green » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:47 pm

About a week after sending Aurora an email, a local Aurora rep called me yesterday. We exchanged about 10 voice mails, as I was in and out of customers all day, and I suspect he was in the same situation. He told me Aurora A-series is their equivalent to the FK JMX series, which I had already figured out. He pointed me at their local distributor, Lane Automotive (SW Michigan, not far from Gingerman). Later last night, a rep from Lane called me to see if he could help me out. Lane is a pretty big place, and it surprised me that they called me regarding a few rod ends.

On the flip side, a good friend of mine does a LOT of business with Lane Automotive / Motorstate Distributing, and gets a good wholesale price that he is willing to pass along. Can't pass up this deal...

Thanks to all.

Joe Dunn

Postby Joe Dunn » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:08 pm

Phil,

You can't go wrong dealing with Lane / Motorstate. I ran a Speed shop for 15 yrs. we ordered the majority of parts from Motorstate. Dave and Doug Lane are top notch, I don't think I have ever spoken with anybody there that wouldn't go out of the way to help you.

Phil Green

Postby Phil Green » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:11 pm

Thanks Joe. I have spent a lot of $$$ in the past there too. They are about an hour from me, so I can just drop by and go shopping. Amazing place, I can feel my credit card starting to melt when I'm still in the parking lot...

Return to “F500 - Tech”