Polaris P85 Clutch Weights

Technical discussion, questions, answers and information
Richard Schmidt

Polaris P85 Clutch Weights

Postby Richard Schmidt » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:37 pm

Can anyone tell me what the differences, other than weight, is between the various clutch weights ?

For example, I see that the 10 MW and the 10 MB are very close in weight, 46 vs 47.5 grams, but are there any differences in the shape of the curve or where the weight is in reference to the mounting hole ?

I have never seen a description of how the various weights will affect the clutch operation over the RPM range. I see that there is a chart for the clutch spring and how it affects the operation, but nothing for the weights.

Does anyone have any info on this ?

Richard
KBS #6

Jay Novak

clutch weights

Postby Jay Novak » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:53 pm

In Aaen's clutch book there is a section on clutch weights. This section defines the various Polaris weights & the shapes of the individual curves. There are numerous weight shapes for different applications. This book is INVALUABLE to the beginning F500 racer.
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years
A special thanks to all SCCA workers

Richard Schmidt

clutch weights

Postby Richard Schmidt » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:55 pm

Thanks Jay,

You could have left the "the beginning F500 racer" off. I have racing F500 since 1999. So I think I am past that stage.

I do have the 1975 edition of Olave's Clutch Tuning Handbook, and now I have the latest also. So with enough time and money, I could build a world beater. But unfortunately, I have don't have a surplus of either.

You never did respond to my question of if you would care to make the details of you air induction system available or if you would make the ram tube available for sale.

Richard
KBS #6

Jay Novak

air inlet

Postby Jay Novak » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi Richard, we spent a couple of seasons developing our air inlet system & I do not sell parts for our cars as I am really not building F500s. Don Clar builds the current NovaKar & the new NovaKar will be available later this year & the air inlet will be part of the new car.

Other competitors have followed suit with air inlets & the Scorpions have them available for sale I think.
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years

Richard Schmidt

Postby Richard Schmidt » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:38 pm

Jay,

I understand. I have tried several times to create a working cold air box without success. I will be trying it again this year on the KBS.

Most of the older car designs do not lend themselves well to adding a air box. Apparently leaving room for a air box was not on the list of things to achieve.

What I don't understand is that the snowmobile manufactures seem to have a handle on this as the new snowmobiles have tuned boxes the actually increase the performance in addition to getting cool air to the engine. Maybe I could get one of those snowmobile engineers to moonlight for me. Ha.

Richard
KBS #6

Jay Novak

air box

Postby Jay Novak » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:19 pm

I can guaranty that it is not easy.
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years

Return to “F500 - Tech”