CDI Box - Kawasaki

Technical discussion, questions, answers and information
Darryl Lindsay

CDI Box - Kawasaki

Postby Darryl Lindsay » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:39 pm

Hi all. Trying to figure out an issue. Half way through a run, the motor laid down. Limped back to the put and found the flywheel side cylinder is not firing, plug is soaked.
Here is what I've done. Changed out the coil, checked compression between the two cylinders, plugs changed, had carb off and pulled apart. Took off the pipes and when running at idle it's obvious the flywheel side cylinder is just popping now and then. Stator or timing? Had an old spare cdi box and that did not seem to help. Going to try and look at the timing marks this week. Haven't pulled the cover of yet. Any things particular to look for?

Also, thought I would add a new cdi box. Part numbers wore off the two old ones I have. Anyone have the correct number for the cdi box? How about a source? Cannont seem to find new ones out there like 4 years ago.
Motor is a Kawi TC440A-G203. Thank You
1985 Red Devil 440

Chuck McAbee

Postby Chuck McAbee » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:27 pm

Mikuni Vacuum or electric clicker fuel pump?

A failing vacuum pump can, chafe the diaphram and allow fuel to be pulled into the crankcase of the side were the vacuum line attaches.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Bill Schmidt

Postby Bill Schmidt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:16 am

1988 Red Devil 494/4 link
1995 Trackmagic 125 shifter/ KX125
Kansas City

Tim Allen

Postby Tim Allen » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:10 pm

A while back my car had the exact same symptoms when running an open track day.

I did all of the same things you did (changed plugs, checked compression, changed ignition parts, cleaned the carbs) but nothing helped. The compression was good on both cylinders. PTO cylinder ran while the flywheel side popped sporadically.

I finally did a crankcase pressure check and found that the flywheel side crank seal had gone.

Once I got the motor out and the flywheel off it was obvious that the crank seal was the problem as it was in several pieces.

I would suggest you do a crankcase pressure test before you start buying ignition parts.

I was able to change all of the crank seals without removing the cylinders using the "Crank Seals for Dummys" instructions on the www.kawasakitrax.com forum.

Just my 2 cents. Let us know what you find.

Tim

Tim Allen

Postby Tim Allen » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:11 pm

A while back my car had the exact same symptoms when running an open track day.

I did all of the same things you did (changed plugs, checked compression, changed ignition parts, cleaned the carbs) but nothing helped. The compression was good on both cylinders. PTO cylinder ran while the flywheel side popped sporadically.

I finally did a crankcase pressure check and found that the flywheel side crank seal had gone.

Once I got the motor out and the flywheel off it was obvious that the crank seal was the problem as it was in several pieces.

I would suggest you do a crankcase pressure test before you start buying ignition parts.

I was able to change all of the crank seals without removing the cylinders using the "Crank Seals for Dummys" instructions on the www.kawasakitrax.com forum.

Just my 2 cents. Let us know what you find.

Tim

Darryl Lindsay

Postby Darryl Lindsay » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:15 pm

Thanks all. Certinatly an area I was'nt thinking of. Probably wait until the snow flys to pull the motor and see what i find. I'll let you all know
1985 Red Devil 440

Darryl Lindsay

Postby Darryl Lindsay » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:25 pm

Thanks all. Certinatly an area I was'nt thinking of. Probably wait until the snow flys to pull the motor and see what i find. I'll let you all know
1985 Red Devil 440

Bill Schmidt

Postby Bill Schmidt » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:24 pm

Darryl,
The crankcase pressure test is done with virtually no disassebly of the engine. Pull exhaust and intake and pressurize the crankcase with about 15 psi and look for leaks.
1988 Red Devil 494/4 link

1995 Trackmagic 125 shifter/ KX125

Kansas City

Return to “F500 - Tech”