Newbie - questions for those running AMW reliably

Technical discussion, questions, answers and information
Tom grossmann

Newbie - questions for those running AMW reliably

Postby Tom grossmann » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:11 pm

I posted in general forum but to recap; New owner of 87 Novakar J4 with AMW engine and loads of spares. Previously run D-Sports (along with various door slammers) as well as 2 stroke GP motorcycles. I've read various posts an AMW and note this will be an Autocross car for the moment. Also mention I have a Datsun 1200 I road race.

So my questions as to AMW reliability:

I would seem obvious but jetting the motor a little fat and being conservative on timing should avoid melted pistons, correct?

110 octane fuel a must? My previous experience with two strokes is that they do not need high octane fuel, is running 98-100 octane a case of jetting and timing? OR with the AMW is there something about the port timing/other factors on these that requires 110 Octane? Note 110 is not a problem just that 100 octane is more convenient.

Will gearing the car a touch tall, keeping the RPM's down have a measurable effect on engine life? Read is it RPM's that cause the need for more frequent crank rebuilds or simply run time?

Finally on the subject of run time, would appreciate if any one could give intervals / hours for re-ring the motor. On my sons KT100 Kart we did 5 seasons of autocross before it needed rings, I am not expecting that from the AMW but I have 0 experience with AMW, hence the question

Thanks in advance.

Tom Grossmann, Vegas

Bill Schmidt

Postby Bill Schmidt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:30 pm

While I have zero AMW experience, I would recommend leaded, non-oxygenated race fuel. I have experience in F500 and F125, and the lead is an extra insurance against piston seizures. And, your carburetors will love you for not feeding them alcohol. Some people put a little 2 stroke oil in the fuel as insurance, too. Dont put in too much, because your engine is still pumping in 2 stroke oil as mandated by the rulebook.
1988 Red Devil 494/4 link
1995 Trackmagic 125 shifter/ KX125
Kansas City

mark vollbrecht

Postby mark vollbrecht » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:44 am

I believe the AMW is a premix motor. No oil injection. So he will need a little more then a few ounces per gallon. It is also a non cdi motor. Chris Eckles
had good luck running them in autocross he would be a good reference on that motor maybe PM him.

Jim Murphy

Postby Jim Murphy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:10 pm

The AMW is designed to run 87 octane so 93 octane will work okay. AMW designed this motor to be used in a target drone so there is no reliability expected - any life at all is a plus.

Jim
Been messing with these cars since 1982.

Tom grossmann

Postby Tom grossmann » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Jim the target drone aspect is a concern............for Autocross we run at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway, which is across the road from Nellis AFB.....during Red Fag exercises I may have to monitor the sky. I'm aware these are not the ideal set up, if it were my road race car I would be swapping the motor out sooner than later.

Mark I will PM Chris for hints.

Tom

Return to “F500 - Tech”