starter for a 494

Technical discussion, questions, answers and information
brad smith

starter for a 494

Postby brad smith » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:50 pm

anyone have an exploded diagram or even just a clear picture of the assembly for a 494 starter - at the pinion gear side? My gear got stuck out - looks like the c-clip and spring popped off. rubbed up against my secondary which stinks but just scuffed the very outside when I got to speed - as soon as i dropped RPM the secondary pulled away.

starter seams OK, pinion is a little dinged up but teeth are all still in great shape, just need to clean up and re-install the parts that are missing.

Bill Schmidt

Postby Bill Schmidt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:08 am

Brad,
I dont have any diagrams, but let me know if I can help. I may have a spare. Also, Olathe Armature on south Kansas ave. works on these and has them in stock. They do stuff for us at work and do it cheaply.
1988 Red Devil 494/4 link
1995 Trackmagic 125 shifter/ KX125
Kansas City

brad smith

Postby brad smith » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 am

sweet - thanks for the offer and the tip Bill.

the pinion gear got stuck out on the armature and rubbed up against the back of the ring gear. ring gear is fine, pinion gear is mostly ok (good for a backup, i'll probably replace)

The center to center is so tight on that car that when the secondary shifted out it rubbed on the pinion also. just scuffed the aluminum a little, but i'll have to pull it to clean up the edges to make sure it doesn't chew up the belt.

maybe it's time to switch to an arctic cat roller now ;)

Jim Murphy

Postby Jim Murphy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:42 pm

Just a side note - the longer the center distance the more efficient (less slippage) the CVT has.

HTH,
Jim

Return to “F500 - Tech”