Road ATL Report

Race reports and previews from F600 events around the country
George Bugg

Road ATL Report

Postby George Bugg » Sun May 22, 2011 11:32 pm

Well, my weekend didn't go very well. But we still had a great time.

It apears one of my oil lines got clogged (just an educated guess until I get a change to diagnose it propperly) and starved the motor for lubricant. I broke a rod in the first qual session and coasted into the pits. I guess I'm the lucky guy to have the first blown motor in F600. Clint was a little upset with me, because he tried hard last year to kill their Honda but couldn't make it pop and I did it without even trying! :roll:

But to show what kind of friends I have... Clint left track early Saturday afternoon to head home and get a spare motor for me. And by the time I was finished with my stewarding duties, Dan had the dead motor out of the car! My dad, son, and I swapped everything over and we got it back in the car Sunday morning! Wow. I guess that's what this "race family" thing is all about. I just hope I'll be able to return the favor someday.

Unfortunately, whatever killed my motor was still in-play (that's why I'm assuming an oil line or cooler) because the new motor didn't show any oil pressure either. We tried a few things, but no luck. So I got to watch Clint and Dan race.

Speaking of that... I'll let Dan tell his story, but from my grand stand seat, this is what I saw: Dan came down the hill from T12 on the second lap, spun, and backed hard into the concrete wall on track right. He climbed out of the car and over the wall on his own (no small feat, btw). The nearest worker was on pit road and was talking to him, but then turned and signalled for the ambulance. Dan then apparently laid down behind the wall. The medics worked with him for a long time and then put him on a backboard and took him to the hospital in Gainesville. I got a txt from Clint a little while ago saying that Dan has cracked vertebrae and some sore muscles, but will be fine.

It was a scary little while. Glad he'll be ok.

Clint went on to finish second overall (and the only F5/6).
Last edited by George Bugg on Mon May 23, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George Bugg
Rakavon Chassis #1
F600

Chris Reinhardt

Postby Chris Reinhardt » Mon May 23, 2011 8:16 am

Wow, I hope Dan's OK, that's real painful injury, 10 years of motocross, ask me how I know.....

Get well soon Dan.

CR
CR2 MotorSports
Home of Cobalt Superkarts
www.cr2motorsports.webs.com

Dan McMahan

RA rational

Postby Dan McMahan » Mon May 23, 2011 10:02 pm

I had a bad qual session as my master cutoff kept cutting off on it's own. We taped it for the race. I took the green from the back of the pack, got one FF before turn one and was in sight of the main pack. I came down the hill into turn twelve, eveything felt fine and as I was tracking out to the exit berm, the rear let go. Did a fast 180 and smacked the wall track right. Doc says I had the least damaging injury as nothing close to the spinal cord was damaged and the structure is stable( whatever that means). I'll see a neurologist tomorrow, hopefully be back on my feet soon. Thanks to all who have checked in on me and wished me well.

Chris Ross

Postby Chris Ross » Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 am

I'm sorry I didn't make the race. I finally flew home on Saturday and got home about midnight. From talking with Clint, it sounds like he got in some good restrictor plate testing, running various sizes and weights for during the qualifiers. I hope you get to feeling better Dan.

Clint and I talked about you engine last night George, and these Suzuki engines are bad about losing their prime when you do an oil change, like during and engine swap. Pull the plugs and loosen the oil filter a few turns so it doesn't have a seal. Then put a few a few paper towels under the filter and crank it for a few seconds. You will hear the oil start to spurt out the filter then, tighten up the filter and crank it a few more seconds. Your oil pressure light should got out. My buddy and I must have screwed around with that for about five or six hours trying to figure out why I couldn't get oil pressure when I did an engine swap. A phone call to Clint's MC mechanic buddy pointed us in the right direction and we had oil pressure in just a few minutes. :oops: :oops:

Dan McMahan

RA spin

Postby Dan McMahan » Wed May 25, 2011 5:50 am

Doc says I shoud make a full recovery with no complications. Bad news is that I can't go back to work for at least six weeks. Hopefully I can work out some light duty if I am up to it. I just thought I knew what pain was till this happened. Other than my back, I came out ok.

Jay Novak

Postby Jay Novak » Wed May 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Wow Dan this sounds pretty bad. Please get well soon!!!!!!
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years
A special thanks to all SCCA workers

Jack Walbran

Get Well!

Postby Jack Walbran » Fri May 27, 2011 7:45 pm

Dan:

In '89 I tried to hit the Turn 12 Armco on driver's right that that wall replaced. Being lucky, I cleared it airborne upside down and landed in the creek that used to be there. It hurt.

Like Jay, I'm with you. Get well! We more or less mature folks have to stick together.

Jack

Ted Simmons

Engine autopsy report

Postby Ted Simmons » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:58 pm

It appears one of my oil lines got clogged (just an educated guess until I get a change to diagnose it properly) and starved the motor for lubricant. I broke a rod in the first qual session and coasted into the pits.

George - Did you ever get a clear understanding of the problem? :(

Return to “F600 - Event News & Reports”