Road Atlanta Rational May 18/20

Race reports and previews from F600 events around the country
Chris Ross

Postby Chris Ross » Sat May 19, 2012 11:33 pm

Today was a lot of fun. Clint turned a fast lap just under the F500 track record. George and I qualified with only 0.3 secs between us. Tom is getting up to speed on the car and relearning Road Atlanta. He is getting faster every session out and will soon be giving George and I a run for our money. The race tomorrow should be good.

An FE driver pulled a bone head move passing a CF on the front straight and put them both into the wall on the front straight. The CF had terminal damage with a busted frame and a transmission broke in half. Robinson Motorsports was working into the night trying to put the FE together. It will be impressive if they pull it off as the car barrel rolled 2 times. Both drivers walked away unhurt. We will have to wait and see what the punishment of the driver will be. Protests were filed on the incident.

Chuck McAbee

Postby Chuck McAbee » Sun May 20, 2012 7:45 am

Chris Ross wrote:An FE driver pulled a bone head move passing a CF on the front straight and put them both into the wall on the front straight. The CF had terminal damage with a busted frame and a transmission broke in half. Robinson Motorsports was working into the night trying to put the FE together. It will be impressive if they pull it off as the car barrel rolled 2 times. Both drivers walked away unhurt. We will have to wait and see what the punishment of the driver will be. Protests were filed on the incident.

'Arrive & Drive' people have a different mentality - they would change their tune if they had to fix what they break themselves.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Chris Ross

Postby Chris Ross » Mon May 21, 2012 8:38 am

What a fun weekend. For the race on Sunday I thought I was to grid in time as I was sitting on pit road waiting to be directed to my spot when the 1 min whistle blow. Instead the grid worker waived me off and said no. I was pretty pissed off, but even if he was wrong in doing so, I shouldn't have cut it that close. Being pissed off and starting 2nd from last (FE stalled on grid) gave me some fuel to attack and try to catch George. Green flag dropped and the FV's jumped out three wide on the front straight and made it almost impossible to get by the front 4. I was stuck behind them through the S's until getting by them between 5 and 6. After that George had a sizable lead and I had my work cut out chasing him down. On lap 5 I caught up to George coming out of 10b and followed him under the bridge and into 12. I got a little too far left and got the tires onto the painted rumble strip and lost traction sending the car into a sideways slide going across the track drivers right. I was quick enough to get on the clutch and kept the engine running so a few quick downshifts to first and I was underway again. George was out of sight so I had to chase him down all over again. I finally caught back up to him with two laps to go going through 10a and 10b. Following him up the hill, George slowed up a bit and pulled onto pit lane. Talking with George after the race he said he was running out of gas and the car was stumbling. Overall I was really happy with my driving and how the car performed. I turned a new personal best lap time of 1:36.3 which is two seconds faster. I'll let the others fill in their stories. Overall lots of great comments from the workers and some other drivers about these cars. Roebling Road at the end of June is next.
Last edited by Chris Ross on Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ron Snarski

Postby Ron Snarski » Mon May 21, 2012 10:14 am

I finally made it out to the track Sunday to meet all the 600 guys, Chris Ross was very nice in helping me understand how great these little cars are, and all the technology that has been put into them by Novak and others. It is a shame there were so many issues with the other drivers, as close racing is fun for drivers and spectators alike.

I hope to be invited back to your pits the next time your in town.
Thanks,
Ron :D
AKA EightEleven

George Bugg

Postby George Bugg » Mon May 21, 2012 10:20 am

Congrats to Chris on the win and a great drive!!

After a clean start I followed a Ford around for a few laps and then eased off as the oil temp began to rise a little higher than I'd like. Then the yellow speck in my mirrors proved to be Chris - on a mission! I hammered down as we went down the hill and on to the front straight. ...and then he was gone. I was afraid he'd lost it, but there was no yellow (or Chris) next time by. Then a little while later, the yellow speck was gaining fast again! This time he stayed right on me all the way around. Unfortunately, coming up the hill through T10 my car stumbled and the fuel pressure dropped momentarily and Chris took the opportunity to make a clean pass down the hill into T12. I got power back as we crested the hill, but I sputtered again up into T2 and T3. Then on the back straight my oil pressure light flickered, then came on steady. So, with 2 laps to go, I pulled into the pits. I had a similar "problem" at CMP earlier that turned out to be the wire on the oil pressure sensor, so I'm hoping that's what I'll find again.

It was a fun weekend, for sure. And always great to spend time with "The Family".

HUGE THANKS to everyone for helping me get things back together after my flying leap into the gravel on Saturday.
George Bugg
Rakavon Chassis #1
F600

Jay Novak

Postby Jay Novak » Mon May 21, 2012 10:41 am

George, I suspect that you will need a baffled pickup in the fuel cell. The fuel injection system cannot handle a low fuel level at all and surge in the tank can uncover the pickup.

This is probably also the reason for your low oil pressure light. These engines will go down to 0 to 10 psi on idle when the oil is hot. I suspect that your rpm went way down when the engine stumbles from fule surge.

What were your oil temps in the race?
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years
A special thanks to all SCCA workers

Chris Ross

Postby Chris Ross » Mon May 21, 2012 10:53 am

George has an external surge tank.

George, did you check to see how much fuel was left?

David Grimes

Postby David Grimes » Mon May 21, 2012 11:54 am

Does anyone have any video they can post of the race?

Chris Ross

Postby Chris Ross » Mon May 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Tom might have some. I had one of the new Replay XD cameras on my car, but I'm having issues with it and what few video files I was able to get have errors in them and won't play. I need to talk with Replay this week and see if we can figure out what is going on.

Jim Murphy

Postby Jim Murphy » Mon May 21, 2012 12:34 pm

Chuck McAbee wrote:
Chris Ross wrote:An FE driver pulled a bone head move passing a CF on the front straight and put them both into the wall on the front straight. The CF had terminal damage with a busted frame and a transmission broke in half. Robinson Motorsports was working into the night trying to put the FE together. It will be impressive if they pull it off as the car barrel rolled 2 times. Both drivers walked away unhurt. We will have to wait and see what the punishment of the driver will be. Protests were filed on the incident.

'Arrive & Drive' people have a different mentality - they would change their tune if they had to fix what they break themselves.

I saw it:
The FE driver passed the CF on the front straight and cut across the CF's nose way too close and bang - it look like billiard balls bouncing around.
I am pretty sure that Robinson has a damage bond from this driver and he paid for the repairs. I heard that he was busted pretty bad by the stewards as well. Clint says that it is the same driver who tried to pass him on Friday in a bad way and blamed Clint for it.

Jim

Jim Murphy

Postby Jim Murphy » Mon May 21, 2012 12:35 pm

Chris Ross wrote:George has an external surge tank.

I remember that Dan built a baffle system inside their fuel cell to help
with fuel starvation.

Jim

Chuck McAbee

Postby Chuck McAbee » Mon May 21, 2012 2:01 pm

Jim Murphy wrote:
Chuck McAbee wrote:

I saw it:
The FE driver passed the CF on the front straight and cut across the CF's nose way too close and bang - it look like billiard balls bouncing around.
I am pretty sure that Robinson has a damage bond from this driver and he paid for the repairs. I heard that he was busted pretty bad by the stewards as well. Clint says that it is the same driver who tried to pass him on Friday in a bad way and blamed Clint for it.

Jim
Arrive & Driver's exercise in repairing the damage is flexing the tendons in their wrist and hand to write the check (and there is more where that came from) - ego won't let them choke on the size of the check. If they actually had to wrench it back to health they would have more respect for the equipment, themselves and others on the track.

Chris Reinhardt

Postby Chris Reinhardt » Mon May 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Chuck McAbee wrote:Arrive & Driver's exercise in repairing the damage is flexing the tendons in their wrist and hand to write the check (and there is more where that came from) - ego won't let them choke on the size of the check. If they actually had to wrench it back to health they would have more respect for the equipment, themselves and others on the track.

Sounds like just a bonehead, I think if you put a wrench in his hand, he'd still be a bonehead!

Besides, there's plenty of car owners who never wrench on there cars either, I guess you put them in the same category?

CR
CR2 MotorSports
Home of Cobalt Superkarts
www.cr2motorsports.webs.com

Chuck McAbee

Postby Chuck McAbee » Mon May 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Chris Reinhardt wrote:
Chuck McAbee wrote:Arrive & Driver's exercise in repairing the damage is flexing the tendons in their wrist and hand to write the check (and there is more where that came from) - ego won't let them choke on the size of the check. If they actually had to wrench it back to health they would have more respect for the equipment, themselves and others on the track.

Sounds like just a bonehead, I think if you put a wrench in his hand, he'd still be a bonehead!

Besides, there's plenty of car owners who never wrench on there cars either, I guess you put them in the same category?

CR
One word -
RESPECT
Those who have to repair their lack of it with their own hands tend to learn it quicker than those who only write checks. FE & SRF are the home of the check writers - their on track records, especially Spec Recker Ford, says all one needs to know about their understanding of respect and playing nice with others.

Chris Reinhardt

Postby Chris Reinhardt » Mon May 21, 2012 6:26 pm

Chuck McAbee wrote:One word -
RESPECT
Those who have to repair their lack of it with their own hands tend to learn it quicker than those who only write checks. FE & SRF are the home of the check writers - their on track records, especially Spec Recker Ford, says all one needs to know about their understanding of respect and playing nice with others.

Brent doesn't work on his car, does he run over everybody?

I guess you never watched a Miata race? Everybody carries spare fenders!!! A LOT of those guys are budget racers....

A bonehead is a bonehead, wrenches, no wrenches, thick wallet or not....

CR
CR2 MotorSports

Chuck McAbee

Postby Chuck McAbee » Mon May 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Chris Reinhardt wrote:
Chuck McAbee wrote:One word -
RESPECT

Brent doesn't work on his car, does he run over everybody?

I guess you never watched a Miata race? Everybody carries spare fenders!!! A LOT of those guys are budget racers....

A bonehead is a bonehead, wrenches, no wrenches, thick wallet or not....

CR

As expected, you missed the one word

RESPECT

Chris Reinhardt

Postby Chris Reinhardt » Mon May 21, 2012 7:01 pm

Chuck McAbee wrote:
As expected, you missed the one word

RESPECT

It's funny, it's usually the SLOW guys that demand respect, the fast guys don't need it..... :D

CR
CR2 MotorSports

Chuck McAbee

Postby Chuck McAbee » Mon May 21, 2012 9:49 pm

Slow or fast, those that get on track deserve respect. The peanut gallery can flap their gums until the cows come home for milking!

Craig Hudson

Postby Craig Hudson » Mon May 21, 2012 10:44 pm

Sorry for the noob question.

FE is formula enterprise and CF is?

Chris Ross

Postby Chris Ross » Mon May 21, 2012 11:05 pm

CF is Club Ford, older formula ford.

George Bugg

Postby George Bugg » Tue May 22, 2012 8:02 am

Chris Ross wrote:George has an external surge tank.

Typical of my life these days... I haven't even had time to pull the car out of the trailer yet. ...maybe this w/e.

I do have a 2qt surge tank and an in-tank sump around the pickup. I can't imagine it's a pickup problem. (been wrong before, though...)

George Bugg

Rakavon Chassis #1

F600

Return to “F600 - Event News & Reports”