Daytona Aug 11-12

Race reports and previews from F600 events around the country
Chris Ross
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:20 pm

Daytona Aug 11-12

Postby Chris Ross » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Just registered for Daytona. F600 has been added to the registration class list as promised. Could get interesting. 30 cars so far for Group 6 with all F and SR's mixed together (except SRF) 13 of the 30 are wings and things including a FA, FB, CSR, and DSR cars registered. Non winged cars includes the normal mix of FV, FF, CF, and a couple of F500's. We should have three F600's there with Clint, Tom Manalio, and me. I sure wish they ran a test day on Friday. I'm not looking forward to my first time out on the track being qualifying! Does anyone know if they allow track walks, bicycles, etc? after hours?

Chuck McAbee
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:02 pm
Location: United States, Maryland, Sykesville

Postby Chuck McAbee » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:36 am

NO

Daytona Security is the worst you will EVER deal with at any race track.[/b]
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Chris Ross
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:20 pm

Postby Chris Ross » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:08 am

Thanks for the reply Chuck. I was reading through the supps and if I read it correctly, Friday night they will only allow us to drop the trailer. No setup of awning, unloading trailer, car prep, etc. That will make Saturday morning kind of frantic. I also read that the paddock must be empty of all personnel 1 hour after the last checkered flag drops on both days. Being we are in the last run group and you have a 30 minute impound, that really only leaves you enough time to go back to the trailer, change clothes, do a bit of clean up and then lock up the trailer. Forget trying to work on the car and/or prep it for the next day's events. Am I readying that correctly? What about folks that stay in an RV? Sounds like they aren't allowed to stay either.

Chuck McAbee
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:02 pm
Location: United States, Maryland, Sykesville

Postby Chuck McAbee » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Chris Ross wrote:Thanks for the reply Chuck. I was reading through the supps and if I read it correctly, Friday night they will only allow us to drop the trailer. No setup of awning, unloading trailer, car prep, etc. That will make Saturday morning kind of frantic. I also read that the paddock must be empty of all personnel 1 hour after the last checkered flag drops on both days. Being we are in the last run group and you have a 30 minute impound, that really only leaves you enough time to go back to the trailer, change clothes, do a bit of clean up and then lock up the trailer. Forget trying to work on the car and/or prep it for the next day's events. Am I readying that correctly? What about folks that stay in an RV? Sounds like they aren't allowed to stay either.


Nobody stays inside when Security closes the place - This includes NASCAR (when CJ worked for Dave Marcis Racing they got chased from the place at the designated closing time). On Sunday, get away day, expect to the hassled by Security to load your stuff up quicker!
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Chris Ross
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:20 pm

Postby Chris Ross » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:41 pm

That is going to be a pain in the a$$ on Sunday. Being the last run group and having a 30 minute impound that will leave us 30 minutes to change clothes, load the car, take down the awning, etc. If this is what Central Florida Region and Daytona make you put up with I probably won't be back next year. Why do people put up with this kind of treatment? Is it just because of the name and history of this track?

Chuck McAbee
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:02 pm
Location: United States, Maryland, Sykesville

Postby Chuck McAbee » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:04 pm

Chris Ross wrote:That is going to be a pain in the a$$ on Sunday. Being the last run group and having a 30 minute impound that will leave us 30 minutes to change clothes, load the car, take down the awning, etc. If this is what Central Florida Region and Daytona make you put up with I probably won't be back next year. Why do people put up with this kind of treatment? Is it just because of the name and history of this track?


And the hope you won't be in the last group.

All things considered, at least you can get into the track on Friday to get your paddock set up (but don't work on the car). When I first went to Daytona - NOBODY - was allowed into the track until 6 AM Saturday morning - talk about Oklahoma Land Rush.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Jim Murphy
Posts: 2657
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:13 pm
Location: United States, Georgia, Winder

Postby Jim Murphy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:10 pm

This brings back memories:
Back in 1983 for my first ever trip to Daytona, they did let us in Friday after 4pm to set up everything but I was by myself in the last race group. I STILL remember the security guard standing over me urging me to hurry up and finish packing - he never even offered to help - just a mean look on his face.
I towed all the way back to Atlanta and was totally exhausted. In 1984, the tornado hit us in the middle of the FV/F440 race and only then was security nice to us with all the overturned trailers. I was thoroughly drenched but got to change in the NASCAR drivers' locker room - nice. The Daytona horror stories have continued to this day so I have not been really keen to return.
I would rather run at Charlotte as it used to be SCCA friendly back then and was almost as fast for top end speed. They had a couple of places in the infield where you could climb up to the observation deck on top of a building and had a beautiful view of the entire road course. Plus it is a whole lot closer than Daytona. I have not been back for quite some time now.

All three of you, please give us a thorough report about your Daytona adventure.

Jim

Chris Ross
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:20 pm

Postby Chris Ross » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:12 pm

What is the minimum speed a F500 sees at Daytona?

Chuck McAbee
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:02 pm
Location: United States, Maryland, Sykesville

Postby Chuck McAbee » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:05 pm

Chris Ross wrote:What is the minimum speed a F500 sees at Daytona?


Didn't have data acquisition working last time I ran Daytona - I suspect the slowest speeds will be the International Horseshoe and next slowest would be the turn that takes you onto the banking in NASCAR 2. The Horseshoe is about 55 to 60 and getting onto the banking is probably about 75. The bus stop on the back straight is about 75-85 on entry.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Chris Ross
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:20 pm

Postby Chris Ross » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:34 pm

Being this an all in one group what top speeds to FC, FE, FF, FV and F500 run at Daytona? I remember seeing top speeds for FA's around 150 mph at Road America and 155 mph for CSR/DSR.

Chuck McAbee
Posts: 1206
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:02 pm
Location: United States, Maryland, Sykesville

Postby Chuck McAbee » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:09 pm

Chris Ross wrote:Being this an all in one group what top speeds to FC, FE, FF, FV and F500 run at Daytona? I remember seeing top speeds for FA's around 150 mph at Road America and 155 mph for CSR/DSR.


Can't speak for the winged things - Good F500's will see 130-135 at their fastest. FV's will be about 115. FF will be a couple of MPH better than F500's. Winged things will be going from 145 up.

During P & Q sessions, look before you turn in and hope the Blue Flagging is up to snuff. When on the banking, stay low and hold your line. During the race after 2 or 3 laps be on the lookout for the winged things - they will be turning 20-30 seconds a lap quicker times. When you get a blue flag, you may not be able to see the car that is coming - BUT IT IS COMING and FAST!
Never too old to have a happy childhood!


Return to “F600 - Event News & Reports”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests