DB Wildcat

Technical discussion, questions, answers and information regarding the F600
Ted Simmons

DB Wildcat

Postby Ted Simmons » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:50 pm

Come check out the reveal of the all new D.B Wildcat formula 600 chassis in color and ready to race and this years PRI show in Indianapolis December 11-13

So, when does the "wildcat" break cover?

George Bugg

Postby George Bugg » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:43 am

George Bugg
Rakavon Chassis #1
F600

Chuck McAbee

Postby Chuck McAbee » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:30 am

Since it has broken cover - when will it break wind?
Never too old to have a happy childhood!

Bill Butterworth

Postby Bill Butterworth » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Nice car! Looking at it, are there any restrictions on the size or depth of the radiator inlets? The side pods are supposed to be 9-12 inches high and within one inch of outer edges of the tires. The side inlets on this and other cars seem to be further inboard than 1 ". Are the inlets not considered part of the side pod ? What dimensions are OK?

Are there restriction on the placement of the radiator inlets and exhausts? Front, back, top, bottom, sides of the side pod?

Do the fronts of the side pods need to be parallel to the turned front wheel as well as within 2 inches, or just within 2 inches at the closest point?

Thanks for helping clarify these questions for me.

Bill

Jim Murphy

Postby Jim Murphy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:30 pm

Chuck McAbee wrote:Since it has broken cover - when will it break wind?

Per Dave Brown, this is very much a prototype so it is still being finalized. I suspect that as soon as it is warm enough - in the north? or futher south?
Dave will be the first to test drive it for further development. And yes, I can easily fit in the huge cockpit. We have asked every big visitor to the booth to sit in the car and even 6'5"+ drivers had no problem being too tall for the main roll hoop.

Jim

Jay Novak

Postby Jay Novak » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Bill Butterworth wrote:Nice car! Looking at it, are there any restrictions on the size or depth of the radiator inlets? The side pods are supposed to be 9-12 inches high and within one inch of outer edges of the tires. The side inlets on this and other cars seem to be further inboard than 1 ". Are the inlets not considered part of the side pod ? What dimensions are OK?

Are there restriction on the placement of the radiator inlets and exhausts? Front, back, top, bottom, sides of the side pod?

Do the fronts of the side pods need to be parallel to the turned front wheel as well as within 2 inches, or just within 2 inches at the closest point?

Thanks for helping clarify these questions for me.

Bill

While I did not put a tape measure on the car I did look it over very carefully. I think it is legal from a height and a width standpoint. Wrt to the turned wheel clearance that 2" dimension is to the closest point.
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years
A special thanks to all SCCA workers

Bill Schmidt

Postby Bill Schmidt » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:23 pm

Unless you are 7 feet tall, I think the roll hoop is a little overkill. It would offer more protection if it was shorter.
1988 Red Devil 494/4 link
1995 Trackmagic 125 shifter/ KX125
Kansas City

Jim Murphy

Postby Jim Murphy » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Bill Schmidt wrote:Unless you are 7 feet tall, I think the roll hoop is a little overkill. It would offer more protection if it was shorter.

This whole car was designed/built specifically for the tall/big guys who have complained for DECADES that they are too big for formula cars. Now they have no excuse - a 6'7" guy fit very comfortably in this cockpit at the PRI show. I am sure that Dave can build it to suit your size.

Jim

Jay Novak

Postby Jay Novak » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:53 pm

We also built a very big car with Don Hamilton. In fact the car was designed around his 6' 5.5" height and 250 lb body. A very good car that gave up nothing because of its size. In fact it just won the Runoffs.
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years

Jim Murphy

Postby Jim Murphy » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:11 pm

Jay Novak wrote:We also built a very big car with Don Hamilton. In fact the car was designed around his 6' 5.5" height and 250 lb body. A very good car that gave up nothing because of its size. In fact it just won the Runoffs.

Is that why Brian looked really tiny in that cockpit on TV?

Jim

Jay Novak

Postby Jay Novak » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:54 pm

Yes, Don's car had a 4" higher roll bar and a wider and taller cockpit than our car that won the Runoffs in 2007. Other than the roll bar height and the wider upper cockpit these cars were exactly the same. We actually put the same setup on Don's car that was on our car and the car was very good.
... Jay Novak
SCCA member for 48 years

Return to “F600 - Tech”